Monday, November 24, 2008

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 4

Corn Muffin and the Mashed Potato with gravy. Photo taken by Mystic.


This post is part of a series of posts that search for the best mashed potato in Singapore. Sometime ago, I had received a tip-off from one of my friends to consider checking out the mashed potato from Kenny Rogers Roasters.

On 24 Nov 2008, I was out with one of my good friends, Mystic, for a day out to chill. Mystic very graciously accepted my suggestion to visit Kenny Rogers Roasters just to sample the mashed potato. We were lucky. That day, there was complimentary corn muffin for every guest at Kenny Rogers Roasters. We were at the Marina Square outlet in the mid afternoon.

One regular serving of the mashed potato with gravy costs $2.80.

The mashed potato from this restaurant was edible but it did not meet my expectations. The gravy had bits of chicken in it. Somehow, the mashed potato dish as a whole tasted like chicken porridge, not mashed potato. I could not figure out what had went wrong such that it tasted like chicken porridge! Furthermore, I felt the sauce was too thick for my liking.

Mystic thinks that a good gravy should bring out the natural flavour of the mashed potato. Sadly, the mashed potato from Kenny Rogers Roasters did not managed to do so. At least not the one that we have had that very afternoon at that very outlet. Mystic felt that the gravy was too overpowering for the mashed potato.

The corn muffin saved the day. The best part was that it was complimentary. The muffin which was a little too sweet for my taste was nevertheless delicious, and I was enjoying my corn muffin. If not for the corn muffin, I might have given up trying to finish the mashed potato. Among all the mashed potato that I have tried so far, Kenny Rogers Roasters fare the worst.

The mashed potato aside, I believe we should give credit to what was done well. I generally like the affordable chicken from Kenny Rogers. Mystic also said that Kenny Rogers Roasters sells yummy ribs. The service there that day was good too. The staff said "Thank you" to us when we were leaving. Overall, I had a pleasant time at Kenny Rogers Roasters that day despite a less than average mashed potato. Many thanks to the good things at Kenny Rogers Roasters.

Meantime, I shall forget about checking out the mashed potato at Kenny Rogers Roasters until one such day when there is significant improvement to this very dish.

***
Where to find Kenny Rogers Roasters restaurant in Singapore?
  • #02-138A, 6 Raffles Boulevard, Marina Square, Singapore 039594
  • 3 Temasek Boulevard, #B1-064, Suntec City Mall, Singapore 038983
  • 1000 East Coast Parkway, Singapore 449879
  • 1 Kim Seng Promenade, #01-06 Great World City, Singapore 237994

2 comments:

Doreen said...

The picture certainly looks very tempting though. Never judge the book by its cover I suppose.

oceanskies79 said...

Doreen: Yes, never judge the book by its cover.

On the other hand, the corn muffin tasted nice!