Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A visit to the library with Mystic

On 23 Nov 2008, aside from checking out Kenny Rogers Roasters' mashed potato with one of my good friends, Mystic, we visited the National Library along Victoria Street.

I was arguing that food for the mind is more important than food for the body. I wonder if this statement of mine had somehow brought us to stroll all the way from Marina Square to the National Library along Victoria Street after our short meal at Kenny Rogers Roasters'?

Mystic was interested to find out how I would usually go about browsing for books to read if I were not using the online catalogue system of the library. I simply showed her the shelves that I would go for, which simply boils down to the following section: Psychology/Self-help, Business/ Leadership, Music/Arts, and History.

I took a copy of Libby Willis' Happiness: The Feel-good factor illustated by Debbie Lush, published by Andrews McMeel Publishing to read, while Mystic found books that she was interested in.

It seemed like I need to find a more conducive environment to read. I generally have difficulties reading in noisy environment, and home can be too far from being quiet for me to read (unless I were to live on my own). It seemed to be a better option to read in the library.

That day, at the library, with Mystic, I managed to read about 60 pages, and that meant about 60 different ideas about how to experience happiness in one's life. As I read the book, I am thankful to my dear friend, XS, for pointing out to me that happiness is a conscious choice. It was a challenge to practise this conscious choice. Yet, amazingly, when I did, I could experience happiness at my heart's core even when things aren't going perfect yet. It was even more amazingly how choosing happiness could make me enjoy a sense of inner joy no matter how my outer world would be. Thank you XS for the invaluable gift of wisdom you have showered me.

Meantime, I hope Mystic has found some joy in enjoying the simple pleasure of visiting a library to get some stimulation for the mind.

2 comments:

kyh said...

It's been ages since I last stepped into the library in my town. I used to go there well, like a decade ago. :P

oceanskies79 said...

Kyh: Welcome. I realised the library is a lovely place to visit, in Singapore. I have the National Lirbary Board in Singapore to thank. I've yet to visit libraries in other countries, so I can't speak for other countries.