Monday, November 17, 2008

Week 46 of year 2008 on the double bass

9 Nov 2008, Sun: I managed to find time to practise Faure's Apres Un Reve. I practised it with the metronome and deliberately focused on securing those passages with the triplet-rhythms. Finally, I could make the double bass sing Faure's Apres Un Reve reasonably alright. I still need some work on using arm-weight properly so that the long notes would sound beautiful yet strong.


(View source)


I did some research and learnt that the text in Faure's Apres Un Reve, originally written for voice and piano, is based on an anonymous Italian poem translated by Romain Bussine. Please visit this URL to find the French text by Romain Bussine and the English translation.

Here's the English translation for my own reading pleasure:

After a dream

In a sleep which your image charmed
I dreamed of happiness, ardent mirage;
your eyes were sweeter, your voice pure and ringing,
you shone like a sky lit up by the dawn.
You were calling me and I was leaving the earth
to flee with you towards the light;
the skies parted their clouds for us,
unknown splendours, divine half-seen gleams...

Alas! Alas! Sad awakening from dreams!
I call on you, o night, give me back your deceits;
come back, come back resplendent,
come back, o mysterious night!


10 Nov 2008, Mon: I practised Faure's Apres Un Reve. Most likely I would take up my tutor's suggestion to play this work rather than Faure's Sicilienne for the DipABRSM exams.

12 Nov 2008, Wed: I practised Faure's Apres Un Reve and Capuzzi's Concerto in D. The double bass soothes my soul!

13 Nov 2008, Thu: For the first part of the double bass lesson, I was playing scales so that I could work on getting a better right-hand technique so as to produce loud and powerful sounds on the double bass with a slow bow. More work required.

The rest of the lesson had me working on Faure's Apres Un Reve. I need better vibrato and right-hand technique to achieve the sound that I want. My tutor, MJ, left me in awe with his demonstration.

No comments: