Sunday, November 30, 2008

Week 48 of year 2008 on the double bass

23 Nov 2008, Sun: I was in the mood to practise the first movement from Dragonetti's Concerto in A major. It has been a long while since I had played this work. I did not practised the entire movement, but I spent quitea bit of time focusing to improve on my rendition on the first half of the movement. Time was spent improving the rhythm and the articulation. I was pleased to hear some slight improvements in my rendition.

24 Nov 2008, Mon: I practised Pachelbel's Canon in D arranged for the double bass quartet. It's a challenging work to play on the double bass, and I do hope that one day, my playing would be good enough to play it. If I could find three other double bass players to play this work with me, it would be a lovely work to listen out for.

27 Nov 2008, Thu: I practised part of Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro with the metronome so as to secure a better rhythm. It proved a challenging task. I also played through Faure's Apres Un Reve.

I managed to get myself to double bass lesson, and much of the time was spent working on Faure's Apres Un Reve. I realised I need to start working more on Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro and practise more SIGHT-READING!

28 Nov 2008, Fri: I decided to take annual leave from work for the day, and had the time to practise the double bass at home! It has been a while since I worked extended hours on the double bass. I started the practice with playing some simple scales (F major, F melodic minor and F harmonic minor).

Afterwhich, needing more work on sight-reading but realising that I prefer to sight-read works from the Baroque and Classical period, I sight-read the first and second movements from Vivaldi's Sonata No. 1 in Bb major, RV 47.. That got my eyes, arms and mind to have a good work-out.

Later, I worked on a section from Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro just to recall the fingerings. I need more concentration when it comes to playing contemporary pieces. Does anyone have any tip on interpreting contemporary pieces? I have tried to look for recordings of works by Lennox Berkeley but I could not find any in the National Library.

No comments: