Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 11



Despite the fact that I have been very biased and have announced on this very blog that the mashed potato that is made by my maternal grandmother is the best in Singapore, and perhaps in the world, to yours truly, I shall continue with my search for the best mashed potato in Singapore.

With this post, I wish my friend whom I dedicate this series of posts to, wisdom. In addition, I wish for my friend that Life is, at all times, generous and kind with her. May she experience joy every moment.

***
From a tip-off from Carcar, she said that she was told by a friend that at Raffles City, there's a take-away stall with nice mashed potato. I didn't know which stall it is, but I figured it could be the "Chippy British Take Away".

Chippy British Take Away sells "The Original Cheese Sausage with mashed potato" for $4 each. I wasn't in the mood for cheese sausage as I don't have a particular interest in meat nowadays. I ordered the mashed potato which costs $2.70 per serving.

As I watched the staff prepare the mashed potato for me, I noticed that the mashed potato was dispensed from a "Maggi" mashed potato dispensing machine. The mashed potato was piping hot. Smoke oozed out when I opened the lid of the container. The mashed potato has a very soft, fine and smooth texture. To achieve such a texture, there is a high likelihood that the mashed potato was prepared from liquidified potato flakes.

On its own, the mashed potato from Chippy British Take Away was of acceptable standard. However, the sauce was too salty for my liking. It even left a salty and thick aftertaste which I have found undesirable. I don't think I would try this again, and shall probably give the Original Cheese Sausage with mashed potato a miss since I don't quite fancy meat. Anyway, for $2.70 per serving of mashed potato and the fact that the mashed potato wasn't that desirable for me due to its sauce, I would probably not try the mashed potato from here again unless improvements have been made.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting idea to eat mashed potato with Cheese sausage. I have just one advice to Chippy British Take Away for its mashed potato, do something about the sauce and improve it please.

***
Where to find Chippy British Take Away mashed potato:

252 North Bridge Road
#B1-58 Raffles City Shopping Centre

And many more outlets.

4 comments:

Doreen said...

Soon you will taste all the mashed potato available in the country!

oceanskies79 said...

Doreen: It will be my pleasure, if doing so could accumulate positive vibes and goodwill for my friend whom this series of posts is dedicated to.

pinkie said...

Maggi mashed potato machine? I've seen it at 7-Eleven stores.

oceanskies79 said...

Pinkie: Yes, those are the same ones!