Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 13


The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore continues because each post serves to convey my heartfelt blessings to a treasured friend of mine to whom this entire series is dedicated to. Wishing my friend inspirations and joy!

**
In this post, I shall share about the Garlic Mashed Potato from Breeks! Cafe.

8 Dec 2008: I was at the airport, to fulfill my cravings for Popeye's buttermilk biscuit and to enjoy the open spaces of the airport. I managed to do some reading too while I was at the airport.

My instincts to search for good mashed potato somehow brought me to Terminal 2 eventually. I realised that Breeks Cafe sells garlic mashed potato. I was rather hesitant to try it because I was rather worried if the garlic taste from the mashed potato would be too overpowering and strong for my liking. It turned out that my worries were unfounded.

According to the description of the garlic mased potato that was found on the menu, it says that this dish is "pleasantly gluey with fluffy consistency, garlic aroma, and the unique shell-shaped scoop makes us want to eat more; beautiful to look at, even better to eat."

Sure enough, I was delighted to see that someone would think of presenting mashed potato in shell-shapes. The garlic taste was just right, in fact, mild and pleasant. It proved to me how garlic could work well with mashed potato. Somehow, the garlic aroma lifted and enhanced the taste of the mashed potato.

The sauce was pleasantly delightful. Even when I was trying it on its own, it did not taste salty. The sauce has a refined aftertaste, and this mashed potato is indeed nice to eat and nice to look at.

However, my advice is that please share this dish with someone. After my second serving eating it alone, I began to experience a bit of salty aftertaste that was probably a result of the accumulation of eating many mouthfuls of the garlic mashed potato and the sauce. My solution to this was to cleansed the palate with plain warm water from time to time.

Overall, it was still a nice eating experience. Each garlic mashed potato cost $3.50 ++ (before GST and service charge). Good quality potato appears to be used for this dish, and I like the fairly consistent texture of the mashed potato. This garlic mashed potato worth trying for anyone who does not mind some dash of garlic in their food.

***
Where to find Breeks! Cafe in Singapore:

Changi Airport, Terminal 2
Breeks Cafe @ 036-0871-01,
Viewing Mall North, Level 3, Terminal 2 (T2),
Singapore Changi Airport
Tel: 6543 1339

And more...
http://www.zingrill.com.sg/zingrill/breeks_cafe.html

4 comments:

mistipurple said...

(typo earlier)
sounds pleasant enough.
subliminally you are making me eat more mashed potatoes! LOL!
happy new year PY!
may you find the best mashed potato eventually, though we all know it's right there at grandma's kitchen. ;)

oceanskies79 said...

Misti: Oh....how much more mashed potato did you eat??

You already have the answer to my final verdict of the best mashed potato, it seems. ;)

mistipurple said...

i have been ordering meals with mashed potatoes more often. and then after tasting, i'll say, nah, i will not let py know. this is not good enough.
then when i walk home, i am thinking mashed potatoes!! thinking of the ones in the vending machine, thinking of powdered ones when i walk in cold storage. ya, the list goes. haha.

oceanskies79 said...

Misti: Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts.

I feel touched that you actually kept me and my hunt for the best mashed potato in mind when you are out. Thank you for your kind thoughts.