Sunday, December 07, 2008

Week 49 of year 2008 on the double bass

30 Nov 2008, Sun: I practised selected passages the first movement from Dragonetti's Concerto in A major. That gave the mind, the fingers and the body a lovely work-out. I was pleased with a fairly clear and warm sound that I had achieved on the double bass. More good practice to make perfect!

2 Dec 2008, Tue: After spending more than 12 hours in the office, back at home, I took some time to practise Faure's Apres Un Reve. I was missing the vibrations of the double bass as I had decided to put on a practising mute on the double bass so that it would be gentle on the ears of my neighbours when I played on my instrument past 11 p.m.

3 Dec 2008, Wed: I worked on Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto. It helps to realised that my articulation is slightly clear than a few months ago. More practice would still be needed. I think it does help to practise at a slower tempo. I ended the practice session faster than I wished to because my body was sending me signals of lethargy. Wish me good luck!

4 Dec 2008, Thu: During double bass lesson, I worked on sight-reading. My dear tutor gave me not just one, but at least four sight-reading pieces to work on. Admittedly, I need to enhance my level of concentration so that I can do that many sight-reading pieces.

After the sight-reading exercises, I worked on Faure's Apres Un Reve, and then played the entire Marcello's Sonata in G major. I felt that my rendition of the Marcello's Sonata has improved compared to a year ago. Now, it is to refine my interpretation, and to work towards securing a good rhythm and vibrato technique. Wish me all the best!

5 Dec 2008, Fri: I took leave from work. I went along with the flow and ended up practising on the double bass. I managed to work on the second and the third movements from Marcello's Sonata in G major at a slow tempo.

Afterwhich, I managed to finally worked through Lennox Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. For this work, I have to figure out how on earth the soundscape should be like. I have not too much clue how the dear composer had wanted it to sound, except to make clever guesses. My grasp of the rhythm is slightly better than a year ago, yet it still needs greater mastery.

6 Dec 2008, Sat: I spent some time playing through a few studies from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass Part One. I was working on improving the intonation and the left-and-right-hand coordination. It was delightful how the simple act of practising on the double bass can invigorate my mind and body. I am thankful for music, for in many ways, it has helped me to recharge.

2 comments:

EastCoastLife said...

I was surprised to see you at ACM today. :)

I didn't go back for the Nanta performance. My fil had a bad fall and bled. :(

oceanskies79 said...

Eastcoastlife: Nice meeting you by chance today.

I send your F-I-L good wishes. I hope he will feel better soon?