Sunday, December 14, 2008

Week 50 of year 2008 on the double bass

7 Dec 2008, Sun: I spent time practising Keyper's Romance and Rondo. I worked on improving the intonation and the articulation, and was fairly satisfied with the achievements made.

It felt strange, I have been practising for close to two years now in order to achieve a standard of playing that is equivalent to DipABRSM, and when I am now so close to it, I realised it may not be what I am truly after in Life. Nevertheless, being able to be more competent in playing the double bass has brought me a lot of joy and comfort.

8 Dec 2008, Mon: I practised Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro.

10 Dec 2008, Wed: I did something that was a little different from my regular practice regime. I practised at 7.30 a.m. in the morning, before I left home for work. If you hear someone playing Faure's Apres Un Reve on the double bass, it could be me!

11 Dec 2008, Thu: I practised Faure's Apres Un Reve for a while. I love the way this work sings. In addition, I played much of Pachelbel's Canon in D major arranged for the double bass. Thank goodness for music in my life. It helps me recharge and be sane.

13 Dec 2008, Sat: Double bass lesson was at 8.45 a.m. in the morning so that I could start the day early enough. I had limited hours of good sleep for the night before, and I was pleasantly surprised when I could be fully energetic during the early morning lesson even with limited sleep. I suppose when one is enthusiastic about something, and have learnt how to bring out one's enthusiasm, one lives with energy when it is needed? I played the entire Marcello's Sonata in G major and much of Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. My tutor asked me to be mindful of the articulation, and taught me some ways in which I can practise so as to achieve more focused articulation on the double bass. I love the double bass lesson.

Next week is declared a week of break from my usual routine of practising four days per week. I have taken leave from work for the whole of next week to reflect and to recharge, and hopefully I could have chances to practise being a good friend. Nevertheless, I shall continue to keep a record if I should practise next week.

No comments: