Saturday, January 03, 2009

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 14


My search for the best mashed potato in Singapore, so that I could dedicate good wishes and blessings to a good friend of mine through the posts in the series, has brought me to Yes! Asian Cafe, which serves mashed potato in a fairly unique way.

Eastcoastlife has given me a tip that there's a place near my home that sells nice potato. So I headed for the Yes! Asian Cafe at 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, #01-40, Singapore 569933, on 4 Dec 2008.

The cafe's presentation of mashed potato is fairly different from the norm. Technically, I won't consider it mashed potato. I would think of it as baked potato. The baked potato from this cafe is made in a special way. Each baked potato has two layers. The top layer is actually mashed potato mixed with butter. The bottom layer is a cut out portion of a potato. Both layers are baked, and there's cheese placed on the surface layer of the baked potato. Could I say that my hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore has brought me to a cafe that sells baked mashed potato?

The mashed potato layer is smooth and soft. It's rather interesting to eat mashed potato with a baked surface that surprises one with tinge of cheese flavour. While I am not sure if everyone would like this kind of way of eating mashed potato, it's worth a try for novelty sake, and to get some new inspirations.

The original baked potato costs $2 each. There are other flavours available at varying prices.

3 comments:

Doreen said...

This is certainly very unique way of presenting mashed potato. Very creative. Though I haven't try before but I think I will like it.

mistipurple said...

i like potatoes this way with bacon bits on top too, sans cheese but butter aplenty, with chives?

EastCoastLife said...

It's at AMK Ave 3? I thought it is just below your apartment. :P

I want to try that. Chris loves baked potatoes while Jaymes loves mashed ones. This is a combination!