Sunday, January 18, 2009

Week 03 of year 2009 on the double bass

11 Jan 2009, Sun: I took some time to practise selected passages from Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. Hopefully I could play this work from memory in time to come.

12 Jan 2009, Mon: I played the entire Marcello's Sonata in G major. For selected passages, I worked on them at a slower tempo focusing on improving the tone quality, intonation and articulation. The third movement needs more work.

14 Jan 2009, Wed: For orchestra rehearsal, we rehearsed dear Emily's new composition! Finally, I could get to play another of her composition. I need some work on the rhythms, and I shall be fine thereafter.

We also rehearsed the first and last movements of Schumann's First Symphony. I am beginning to appreciate the enthusiasm that Schumann has demonstrated through his music. Cool!

15 Jan 2009, Thu: Double bass lesson got me to work on Faure's Apres Un Reve. Vibrato technique and right-hand bow technique needs more work.

A dear friend who was invited to sit-in my lesson gave me the helpful suggestion that I have not thought of, that could help me overcome my relatively weaker auditory memory. She suggested that it would help me to better remember what I have learnt during my double bass lesson if I could record the lesson, so that I can review my learnings for as many times and as long as I would need. It looks like I have a good reason to get myself a MP3/4 recorder soon. She suggested that I could alternatively consider a good mobile phone or a laptop with video recording function.

17 Jan 2009, Sat: I practised sight-reading some works. I also played a few pieces composed by Mozart. The goal was to improve sight-reading skills.

In the afternoon, I went to check out electronic gadgets that may serve my needs of recording my double bass lessons (for my private use of course). In terms of portability and affordability, I am more inclined to get a digital voice recorder that could record music well. I am contemplating whether I would need video recording functions because if there would be images, I would usually end up watching images than listening to auditory information. Yet my hope for recording the lessons is to record the sounds so that I can take time to appreciate the playing of my tutor, and to monitor the auditory progress of my playing.

I would need to gather a bit more information before making the final decision on the type of digital recording gadget to get.

No comments: