Sunday, January 25, 2009

Week 04 of year 2009 on the double bass

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

18 Jan 2009, Sun: I have had the honour to play to Eastcoastlife. Her dear husband also gave his support and listening ears for a while. I played a selection of works, ranging from Pachelbel's Canon in D arranged for the double bass, Osborne's Blues-Style, Faure's Apres Un Reve, Dragonetti's Concerto in A major and etc. Many thanks to Eastcoastlife for lending her listening ears. She said she likes listening to how harmonics are being produced on the double bass.

21 Jan 2009, Wed: Before the orchestra rehearsal, I spent time practising Faure's Apres Un Reve, and worked on improving the intonation.

For the orchestra rehearsal, we rehearsed one of dear Emily's compositions which will be featured in our orchestra's upcoming concert scheduled on 14 Mar 2009. Do make time to support. We will also be playing "Autumn" and "Winter" from Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, Schumann's First Symphony and Smetana's The Moldau for the concert.

I would need to set aside some time to practise Emily's composition, Vivaldi's works and Schumann's First Symphony.

22 Jan 2009, Thu: I took the advice of one of my dear friends who sat in for my double bass lesson last Thursday and got myself a digital device that records sounds.

For the lesson, I worked on sight-reading. I sight-read more than three sight-reading exercises and was pleasantly delighted by the fact that I could work through more than three sight-reading exercises.

Thereafter, I worked on Faure's Apres Un Reve and felt pleased that my rendition has improved slightly.

On my way home, I reviewed the recording and it was quite a learning experience to be able to recapitulate the lesson once again. I need to work on my sense of rhythm.

23 Jan 2009, Fri: I practised selected passages from Keyper's Romance and Rondo. The key goal is to work towards memorising the difficult passages.

Prior to Romance and Rondo, I played a few studies by Bottesini.

4 comments:

mistipurple said...

wish you a happy and prosperous ox year, py and family.
may all your dreams come true and may you grow even wiser this new year! :D

oceanskies79 said...

Misti: Thank you very much for your wishes. I wish you good health and happiness. :)

EastCoastLife said...

Thanks so much for the performance. I truly enjoy it. Looking forward to more. haha.....

oceanskies79 said...

Eastcoastlife: I am glad that you like the performance. Thank you for making time to listen to me play.