Wednesday, February 11, 2009
The mashed potato recipe
My series of posts to hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore has got a couple of people asking me about places for mashed potato in Singapore. Heritage enthuasiast, Peter, asked me recently for a recipe for mashed potato.
Here's an online site with mashed potato recipes: http://www.allfavoriterecipe.com/RecipeDetailMashedPotatoes.aspx
My Dad, who is a chef, gave me a simple mashed potato recipe. Here are the steps:
1. Choose the potato. (My Dad recommends US potatoes)
2. Peel the skin of the potatoes.
3. Cut the peeled potatoes into small cubes.
4. Put the potato-cubes in water, and boil till they are cooked.
5. Use fork, wire masher, electric mixer etc to mash the potato to the texture that you like.
6. Add butter/ margarine.
7. Add milk.
8. Add seasoning (e.g. salt, pepper) to taste.
9. Stir. (My grandmother had recommended stirring in the seasonings etc over a gentle flame.)
10. Add cheddar cheese or eggs for extra taste.
Meantime, here's to wish my dear mother a Happy Birthday.