Sunday, March 01, 2009

Week 09 of year 2009 on the double bass

22 Feb 2009, Sun: It was orchestra rehearsal to rehearse "Autumn" and "Winter" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I must have been not in the optimal shape to play. My fingers had difficulties managing the trills required in "Winter". Hopefully good health returns.

Back at home, eager to practise on my double bass, I practised selected passages from Emily's About E.C.O, Schumann's First Symphony, "Autumn" and "Winter" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Afterwhich, I worked on Marcello's Sonata in G major.

23 Feb 2009, Mon: The new hubby would need some rework, yet it is pleasing to hear. I worked on the third movement from Marcello's Sonata in G major. Afterwhich, I played a section from Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro and Dittersdorf's Second Concerto. I am loving the sound of the double bass.

25 Feb 2009, Wed: We had double bass sectional. I have been missing double bass sectional with GM for a long time. We worked on Emily's About E.C.O and for the first time in my life, I felt I could finally have enough confidence to manage the complexities of the work. We also worked on the fourth movement of Schumann's First Symphony.

After the sectional, the orchestra rehearsed Smetana's The Moldau and Schumann's First Symphony.

26 Feb 2009, Thu: Finally, I could have the chance to bring the new hubby to the lesson. Many thanks to my tutor for helping move the sound-post to a better position. The hubby sound much better after a slight shift in the position of the sound post. I played Faure's Apres Un Reve. It is amazing how much easier it is to play on hubby. The challenging thing is that it sounds so nice and responds so well that it accentuated the anxieties and self-doubts that I have within me. I was rather anxious while I was manipulating the bow. I have to learn how to simply sing music from the heart using the double bass.

2 comments:

EastCoastLife said...

I'm expecting a lovely performance from your new 'hubby'. hehe....

Read from the papers that social workers are stressed out and tired due to the increase in the number of new cases. Hope you are fine, mentally and physically.

If you have some time, let's meet for tea at a Hainanese coffee shop in town.

oceanskies79 said...

Eastcoastlife: I will be sending new hubby for servicing first.

Hopefully one day people don't have problems to look for social workers. That means that we have worked ourselves out of our jobs!

This month is a little busier for me. If you are coming for Emily's graduation recital on 19 Mar 2009, 8 p.m. at the Conservatory, I could catch up with you after it?