Sunday, March 15, 2009

Week 11 of year 2009 on the double bass

8 Mar 2009, Sun: There was orchestra rehearsal. During which, the orchestra rehearsed Emily's About E.C.O, the second and fourth movements from Schumann's First Symphony, and "Autumn" and "Winter" Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

9 Mar 2009, Mon: I practised selected passages from the fourth movement Schumann's First Symphony. Hopefully I would master the passages soon. Afterwhich, I spent sometime playing through the first movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor on the double bass. The new hubby is much easier to play. Soon, I should consider putting up my Korean-made double bass for sale.

11 Mar 2009, Wed: It was double bass sectional with GM before the orchestra rehearsal. I was fascinated when he shared with us about the analysis of the harmonies in a certain passage of the fourth movement of Schumann's First Symphony. Finally, I felt I was a little more confident to play that very movement.

For the orchestra's rehearsal, we rehearsed Emily's About E.C.O. There is maturity in Emily's composition, so it was exciting to be playing it. It is quite a thrill to be playing the work of a friend, furthermore a living composer.

For Schumann's First Symphony, I have found joy in letting go, and being relaxed.

12 Mar 2009, Thu: Double bass lesson has not been productive. I realised my right-hand muscles were strained and tensed due to carrying heavy objects before the lesson while I was at work. Sight-reading greatly needed my attention! I need to sight-read more often music written in tenor clefs. My rendition of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major was far from ideal when the right-hand muscles felt so tensed. I should remember to avoid carrying heavy objects that are beyond my physical capacity.

13 Mar 2009, Fri: I realised I would be playing on the double bass almost every day of the week except Tuesday. There was extra orchestra rehearsal for the day. I was trying my best to project the sound of the double bass to a large hall. I am doing my best to remain positive and centered.

14 Mar 2009, Sat: It is concert day, and of course, I will be playing on the double bass.

Week 12 is declared to be a week of break from double bass playing.

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

good luck on your exam in ipoh.

EastCoastLife said...

Good luck on your exam!