Sunday, March 29, 2009

Week 13 of year 2009 on the double bass

22 Mar 2009, Sun: After a week of break from playing the double bass, I started my practice for the week with Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. I practised some of the sections with a metronome so as to get the rhythm right.

25 Mar 2009, Wed: I was given medical leave for a day by the doctor. It was quite difficult to be at home for all day without playing the double bass. Playing the double bass helps bring me relief. I worked on the entire Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. Specifically, I spent most of the time working on the second movement of the concerto with a metronome. I am pleased that I have managed to get the rhythm right with the metronome's help.

26 Mar 2009, Thu: During the double bass lesson, I realised how lovely the second movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major could be. My tutor also spent the other half of the lesson getting me to work on the first movement of the concerto.

28 Mar 2009, Sat: At about 11 p.m. in the night, I started practising the second movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. In my attempt not to be a nuisance to my neighbours, I put on the practice mute on the double bass so as to reduced the volume. While I would have preferred to play on it without the mute, the mute offered a solution for me to play the instrument in the late hours of the night.

Actually, during the past few nights, my mind went active half-way in my sleep and I woke up in the middle of the night. My restless mind had the urge to play on the double bass even if it were at 2.00 a.m. in the morning. Anyway, my body was physically tired so I did not pursue my urge to play the double bass.

Nevertheless, it has been a relief to play on the double bass. I am glad that playing music came into my life. It is a therapeutic hobby and way of life.

No comments: