Thursday, April 16, 2009

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 29



I may have found one of the best mashed potato in Singapore that is comparable to the mashed potato that is made by my grandmother, if not better than hers.

This is found at Miss Clarity Cafe, Singapore.

I passed by Miss Clarity Cafe on 10 Apr 2009 and was in the mood to sample mashed potato. As such, I browse through the menu just to figure out if the cafe serves mashed potato. I realised Miss Clarity Cafe does serve mashed potato as a side dish to the main sets. However, mashed potato was not listed as an item that was sold on its own. Anyway, I am thankful that I had asked if I could just order mashed potato on its own. The waitress gladly obliged and the Cafe hence won me over as a guest.

The mashed potato took a while to be served. Yet it was worth the wait. The mashed potato from Miss Clarity Cafe has a smooth and silky texture. I like its creamy, buttery taste. The mashed potato used quality potato and even one can still taste the earthy potato taste even when the mashed potato was well-blended to a smooth texture. The mashed potato tasted delightful and most wonderful on its own, without the brown sauce. One can realise that the chef has made the mashed potato with lots of pride and care.

I realised that perhaps because I have found comfort in the buttery mashed potato that is made by my grandmother, I have a preference for mashed potato that has a buttery taste. This mashed potato from Miss Clarity Cafe has scored better marks from yours truly than the mashed potato that is made by my grandmother. I like its more refined taste and its much smoother yet thick enough texture. I could feel the mashed potato melting away in my mouth when I licked it from my spoon. I would personally consider it as one of the best mashed potato in Singapore!

For the folks who like mashed potato with brown sauce, it does help to cleanse one's palate with water before sampling the mashed potato with brown sauce. This will help one better do justice to the brown sauce. Interestingly, the mashed potato when eaten with the brown sauce on did not taste salty. The brown sauce actually coated the mashed potato with a tinge of saucy delight. One can taste the herb-like aroma from the stock of the brown sauce.


On the right: Mashed potato


If you ask me, I would prefer to just eat the mashed potato without the brown sauce. I would have ordered another serving of the mashed potato if not for the fact that I was trying to practise self-discipline in terms of my diet.

I will go back for the mashed potato from Miss Clarity Cafe if I am craving for a silky, smooth, buttery and creamy mashed potato.

The mashed potato is affordable at $4 (nett). Many thanks to the Chef who had made such a wonderful serving of mashed potato to delight yours truly.

Address:
Miss Clarity Cafe
5 Purvis St #01-04
Singapore 188584
Tel: 6339 4803
Opening Hours: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Closed on Sunday.
http://missclaritycafe.com


With this post, I wish my friend to whom this series of posts is dedicated to, the best treasures in Life.

6 comments:

mistipurple said...

i am glad you have managed to hunt down one of the best mashed potato in town that is comparable to your grandma's. ;) congratulations!

pinkie said...

Mashed potato that's still nice without the brown sauce? Wow, must be really good! I would love to visit Miss Clarity one day..

oceanskies79 said...

Misti: Thanks for sharing the joy. :)

Pinkie: Yes, you could. Actually, i am quite a biased eater of mashed potato. I think I like mashed potato that is done in ways that are similar to my grandmother's style. By the way, the mashed potato is itself not in the menu at Miss Clarity, so it may help if you visit it during non-peak hours.

kyh said...

After near 30 episodes, you've found it! :)

Actually, what are the ingredients of the brown sauce?

The dish beside the mashed potato looks delicious too! A soup?

EastCoastLife said...

You've finally found your delicious mashed potato.

The cafe also serves some pretty good desserts. I like their bread pudding.

oceanskies79 said...

Kyh: I am still searching for good mashed potato. I have no idea what the ingredients of the brown sauce are. However according to some online sources, I figured the ingredients are likely: flour, butter (or oil), seasoning. Try this site: http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Category:Brown_Sauce_RecipesThe dish beside the mashed potato is pesto minestrone soup.

Eastcoastlife: I am still hunting around, so let me know if you have any lead.