Sunday, April 05, 2009

Week 14 of year 2009 on the double bass

29 Mar 2009, Sun: To practise and to prepare for the quick-study component of the DipABRSM exams, I sight-read a few studies. These were relatively easy to manage. I have to work towards sight-reading works from the Romantic and contemporary period.

After that, I practised Capuzzi's Concerto in D major.

31 Mar 2009, Tue: Days at the office has been extremely hectic and overwhelming. Nevertheless, after a long day, it helps a bit to get some recharge through playing the double bass. I played Faure's Apres Un Reve and I felt I could have some opportunities to practise 'screaming on the double bass'.

Playing on the double bass is a way of self-expression and it helped a bit to help me feel less pent-up with the sense of overwhelming pressure from work. A good friend of mine said that I seem to recharge with the use of the right-brain and I agree with it to quite a large extent.

1 Apr 2009, Wed: It was the last rehearsal for the orchestra for the semester. There will be a break for exams preparation for the university students after the rehearsal on 1 Apr 2009. It was rather recharging to play and make music with others. While the week had been an extremely overwhelming one at work, the orchestra rehearsal provided some respite from work.

For the rehearsal, we rehearsed Kelly Tang's Sketches of Singapore, the last movement of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 1 and one of the movements from Stravinsky's Petrushka.

2 Apr 2009, Thu: During double bass lesson, I worked on the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. It brought me some relief to play on the double bass yet I wonder if I am made for performing. I shall learn to be more encouraging towards myself.

Later the evening, I worked on sight-reading two different excerpts for the double bass. I have to improve on tempo and rhythm. The differences in dynamics need to be more distinct and I need to deliver the mood of the works more clearly. More practices for quick study!

4 comments:

kyh said...

I wish I can play some music too. Would love to learn a few tricks or two on violin.

EastCoastLife said...

No more rehearsals, so you can have some free time for yourself.

oceanskies79 said...

kyh: Music does wonders to the soul.

Eastcoastlife: Thanks.

pinkie said...

Don't we all recharge with the right brain? how do we recharge with the left brain?