Friday, May 22, 2009

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 34



I visited the NUS Arts Canteen on 13 Mar 2009 and I noticed that the Western Food stall of "The Deck", NUS Arts Canteen serves mashed potato for $0.50 per serving, so I ordered it in addition to a plate of Fish and Chips. If not for my hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, I may possibly not have considered the Western Food stall.

The mashed potato was rather cold when it was served. The brown sauce was not too salty, but had a thick after-taste. It was not fabulous and just barely average, but for the price of $0.50 I shall not attempt to give it too much critique. Anyway, I am not likely to go back to the stall just to eat the mashed potato. It was not good enough for me to go back just for the mashed potato.

The Fish and Chips, without the mashed potato cost $2.60 per plate if I've recalled correctly.

****
With this post, I wish for my friend whom I dedicate this series of posts to: contentment and wisdom to find delight in the way things are.

5 comments:

Doreen said...

The fish and chips comes with baked beans? That's quite interesting. ANyway, $2.60 a plate of fish and chips is really cheap!

pinkie said...

$2.60 for fish and chips?!!! Gosh! Cheaper than SIM! NUS Arts canteen... is the char kway teow still there?

oceanskies79 said...

Doreen: The stall is located in a University canteen and that probably makes the Fish and Chips priced reasonably.


Pinkie: Oh, I didn't know. Probably there are other canteens in other parts of NUS that are selling Fish and Chips for about the same price, so stalls try to charge similar prices to stay competitive.

The Char Kway Teow that was very famous during my time isn't there anymore. To the best of my knowledge.

EastCoastLife said...

S$2.60 for a plate of fish and chips is cheap! Can the public eat at the canteen? :P

oceanskies79 said...

Eastcoastlife: You could do so and see what happens. I patronised the stall as a member of the public by the way.