Sunday, July 12, 2009

Week 28 of year 2009 on the double bass

5 Jul 2009, Sun: I started off gaining the momentum by practising studies to warm up. Afterwhich, time was spent practising Capuzzi's Concerto in D major.

6 Jul 2009, Mon: It was my first day rehearsing with my piano accompanist for the DipABRSM. We worked on Capuzzi's Concerto in D major and Faure's Apres Un Reve. It was my very first time playing these two works with piano accompaniment and it helped to know the areas that I would need to work very closely with the piano.

One thing that I need to work a lot on would be to work with the metronome to get the dotted quaver rhythms and triplet rhythms accurate, and to distinguish between the two. I need to count diligently too.

Next, I need to practise and have greater control over the way I do the vibrato. I need to have good control over the speed that I do the vibrato. In addition, I need to be able to keep my vibrato sustained. Practice and more practice. If I need help with the vibrato, I suppose I could ask my tutor for some guidance.

One thing somewhat new that I have learnt from the rehearsal was that I could help cue myself in by writing the rhythms for the piano parts on my parts, especially at places where there are rests.

I feel very grateful that my accompanist suggested that we work on Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. It was something I have found challenging to work on and yet it was exactly so that I need to work on it more often. If not for my accompanist's suggestions, I might have postponed working on it to another day. While there are many details that I need to work further on, I was pleased that I had actually managed to rehearse this entire piece, and finally appreciated how the piano and the double bass relate to one another, during my very first rehearsal. This was a milestone in itself.

8 Jul 2009, Wed: I practised Faure's Apres Un Reve. The goal was to explore ways to vary the speed that I perform vibrato on the double bass.

9 Jul 2009, Thu: During the double bass lesson, my dear and kind double bass tutor allowed me the chance to play on his double bass that was strung with solo-tuning strings. The solo-tuning strings are already by nature, brighter in tone. His double bass further projected a warm and bright tone. Many of the times, I would have to manage my own self-doubts when I play on good instruments like his.

Anyway, during the lesson, he gave me tips on the vibrato techinque. Yet, nothing beats spending time to practise, and practise. We worked on Faure's Apres Un Reve and the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major.

Towards the end of my lesson, my tutor played a lovely rendition of Dittersdorf's Second Concerto on his double bass. That was inspiring.

In the evening, back at home, I worked on a couple of quick-studies.

11 Jun 2009, Sat: I worked with the metronome clicking at semiquaver-rhythm. The goal was to improve my rendition of the semiquaver-passage and the passages with dotted-quaver rhythm in the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major.

No comments: