Sunday, July 19, 2009

Week 29 of year 2009 on the double bass

12 Jul 2009, Sun: The focus continued to be on working on my sense of rhythm. I worked with the metronome clicking away in semiquavers so that I can work on the dotted-quaver rhythms and the semiquaver rhythms found in the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. For the second part of my practice, I set the metronome clicking away in triplets so that I can work on the passage with triplet-rhythms.

13 Jul 2009, Mon: I continued to work on the dotted-quaver rhythms and semiquaver rhythms found in the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. Afterwhich, I worked on vibrato technique. I ask for inspirations.

15 Jul 2009, Wed: I am trying to believe that steadiness will get me there. So even if it takes quite a bit to overcome the self-doubts and inertia, I continued to work steadily to practise at least four times a week.

The practice today got me working on studies and more studies. I felt I needed to use more time to know my current double bass at an intimate level. Studies provided the avenue to get me to better understand how to play the various intervals on my double bass.

After working on studies, I worked on Faure's Apres Un Reve. The focus was to achieve a steady rhythm and improving the vibrato technique.

Closing the day's practice, I worked through the second and fourth movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major.

16 Jul 2009, Thu: It must be that I was in the mood for contemporary music, I worked on the first half of Lennox Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. Subsequently, I worked through Faure's Apres Un Reve.

17 Jul 2009, Fri: Work with the metronome continues. This was in hope to improve my sense of rhythm. I worked on the first and second movements of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major.

18 Jul 2009, Sat: During the double bass lesson, I worked on the 3rd and 4th movements of Marcello's Sonata in G major. The goal was to achieve a smooth change of bow and a good vibrato technique. Subsequently, I worked on the last page from Lennox Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro and managed to sort out some figurings.

During the lesson, while working on sight reading, my tutor taught me a way to better gauge the A-flat note that lies on the G string.

No comments: