Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 52






3 Aug 2009, Mon: An anonymous informant shared with me on a comment to one of my posts of this series about a food establishment called Potato Farmland that is located in Yishun. That kept me thinking about reviewing the mashed potatao there for the entire workday, so I attended to the thought by visiting Potato Farmland after my work day.

I ordered the Mash 'n' Spuds. It costs $3 per serving. Basically, it is French fries served with a topping of mashed potato with gravy. Here is where one can find good tasting potatoes at an affordable price.

According to the website, Potato Farmland uses carefully selected Russet potatoes and some Holland Coliban potatoes. Indeed the mashed potato was made of good tasting potatoes. That applied to the crispy French Fries that was served with the mashed potato. The French Fries added a bit of crispy texture to the dish. It was the first time in Singapore that I saw mashed potato served with French Fries.

The gravy reminded me of the taste of a mild form of black pepper sauce. The gravy enhanced the flavour of the mashed potato. While there seemed to be no butter added to the mashed potato, the good tasting mashed potato was good on its own. There were some bits of chicken ham slices with the mashed potato.

I found out from one of the staff that the mashed potato that was used for the Mash 'n' Spuds is the same mashed potato that is used for Potato Farmland's other dish: hand-whipped potato. The Hand-whipped potato costs $1.50 per serving. I went back to Potato Farmland on 21 Aug 2009 to try its hand-whipped potato. My conclusion is that the mashed potato that is used for the Mash 'n' Spuds is the same mashed potato used for the hand-whipped potato.



The hand-whipped potato.


With this post, I wish my friend to whom this series of posts is dedicated to: dreams come true.


Potato Farmland:

Blk 239 Yishun Ring Rd, #01-1152, Singapore 760239.
Opening hours: 11.30 a.m. - 9 p.m. Daily. Closed on 1st and 3rd Sundays.

Website: http://www.potatofarmland.com

4 comments:

pinkie said...

mashed potatoes with french fries!?! wow...

oceanskies79 said...

Pinkie: Yes! Potato Farmland also sells a variety of baked potatoes. It's worth a visit, and the food is reasonably priced for its quality.

Anonymous said...

i'am the anonymous which posted earlier.

I seem to visit ur blog whenever i got the craving for potatoes.

Any recommendations in the east?

My nearest fix for potatoes is Aston operating at nearby coffee shop. They have few potatoes side dishes. Mash one not fantastic and the better one would be the potato salad.

I think Potato Farmland got one of the best potatoes in terms of price and taste.

The baked potato at $2 is quite filling.

Potato Lover
Nelson

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Nelson, thank you for visiting.

I haven't explored the east very much. The mashed potato I have tried is from Werner's Oven and it is worth a try if you like mashed potato that is creamy and smooth in texture.