Thursday, August 27, 2009

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 47



I passed by the Mad Jack Cafe along Bt Timah, 6 Duke's Road, on 8 Jul 2009. Noticing that it sells mashed potato, I ordered a plate of Grilled Fish with Honey Lemon Sauce, served with mashed potato and peach salad from Mad Jack Cafe. This costs $8.90 before GST and service charge. If one were to order mashed potato on its own, one serving would costs $3.90.

The mashed potato has a firm and compact texture, yet soft enough. The brown sauce was not overpowering in its taste. It was light, yet has enough flavour to enhance the taste of the mashed potato. The brown sauce was a bit on the peppery side in terms of its taste. Overall, the mashed potato was average, yet good enough for me to consider another trial if I were to visit the Mad Jack Cafe outlet with my mashed-potato-loving friend.

I personally prefer to be given a more generous serving of peach salad. Anyway, since this post is about mashed potato, I shall not comment further on anything else but the mashed potato.

Mad Jack Cafe is a halal establishment. It opened its first outlet in year 2005 in Bukit Timah. That part of Bukit Timah has brought me quite a bit of nostalgia. My Secondary School building was located nearby. When it was school holidays period, I remember having to have lunch nearby that part of Bukit Timah simply because all the canteen-stalls in my Secondary School would be closed during the school holidays.

With this post, I wish my friend to whom this series of posts is dedicated to: delight in nostalgic moments.

***
Mad Jack Cafe's website:
http://www.madjackcafe.com

2 comments:

EastCoastLife said...

You are becoming an expert on mashed potato. :P

oceanskies79 said...

Eastcoastlife: Actually not yet. I don't have enough vocabulary to describe the taste of the various kinds of mashed potatoes that I have tasted.

Anyway, I will be hitting the 50th post of the series soon. :)