Monday, August 17, 2009

People to be grateful for. Part 9



Last Friday, on 14 Aug 2009, I had the honour to meet up with dear Emily for dinner at Altazzag Egyptian Restaurant. The restaurant was located at 24 Haji Lane, Singapore (Tel: 6295 5024). We had passed by this Egyptian Restaurant quite a long while ago when we last visited the Kampong Glam area but we had not eaten there before. We ordered the Altazzag Super Special, and a platter that contains humus and other starters. Many thanks to Emily for her treats to desserts after the dinner, and the lovely postcards that she has got me from her overseas trip.

I am thankful to have a friend in Emily. She is an encouraging desk partner to have. In addition, she would candidly give me pointers to improve my double bass playing. My thanks to her for a great present, Aaron Copland's book titled What to Listen for in Music. It was a book that helped me experience greater enjoyment when listening to music.

I am also deeply grateful to her for being my piano accompanist when I took the ABRSM Grade 8 practical exams. She gave me a lot of pointers and encouragement.

It has been inspiring to listen to Emily's works being presented in public. It got me thinking about how a composer tries to find a medium for self-expression and at the same time, write music that would inspire others. I am glad that I have had the privilege to attend a number of the concerts that present her works over the past few years. That helped me gain more appreciation of contemporary music in general.

Emily is one fun person to explore places with. We had explored pubs and heritage together. I have found it quite insightful to share heritage related issues with Emily.

In the meantime, here's wishing Emily all the very best in her future endeavours.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

emily is a wonderful person.
i wish her the best too.

and py, you have great friends.
i like every friend of yours that i've met. you're very lucky.
-pauline

oceanskies79 said...

Pauline: Thanks for joining me to send good wishes to Emily.
I am lucky to know you as a friend too.

kyh said...

She seems to be a truly good friend. Hard to find one like her nowadays...

Egyptian food sounds exotic. I've yet to try Middle Eastern cuisine, and I'd love to try Lebanese one.

pinkie said...

How do Egyptian cuisine compared to Turkish's?

oceanskies79 said...

khk: She is. :)
Frankly, the Middle Eastern cuisine seems so alike to me that I can't quite distinguish the differences.

Pinkie: I prefer the food from the Turkish restaurant that we had last been to.

I couldn't quite tell the difference between the Egyptian cuisine and the Turkish cuisine though....

Anonymous said...

yeah actually the egyptian tasted like turkish to me...

i think they influence each other. mostly meaty stuff and breads...

thanks py for your post! i think i replied before but its not here. dont know why. anyway, what i want to say is... py, you have good friends because you are a good person to begin with. its karma!

-emily

oceanskies79 said...

Dear Emily, thanks for your encouraging words. Good wishes to you!