Sunday, August 02, 2009

Week 31 of year 2009 on the double bass

26 Jul 2009, Sun: I practised the first and second movements of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major with the focus in mind to develop a steady pulse and a better sense of rhythm.

27 Jul 2009, Mon: I practised some studies and orchestral-excerpts. Hopefully, such practices could help me sight-read better. I also played the first movement of Eccle's Sonata in g minor.

Before I end the practice for the day, I worked on selected passages from the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major with the metronome.

29 Jul 2009, Wed: I worked on the second movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major with the metronome. The focus was on improving intonation and rhythm. Following which I practised Lennox Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro

30 Jul 2009, Thu: This could be a mistakes-surfacing day. What would go wrong would go wrong! During the double bass lesson, I worked entirely on Marcello's Sonata in G major. It was strange, my intonation went rather out of hand during the lesson at passages where I used not to have much problem. Furthermore, I had cramps on my arms while playing a particular fast passages.

During the evening when I worked on quick-studies, my attempts felt as if I was merely sight-reading. I needed to feel more confident with my quick-studies.

My double bass tutor suggested that I practised even longer hours for the next month so that by the month of the exams, I could just cut down on my hours of practice so as to relax more. In essence, I need very much to pick myself up again.

1 Aug 2009, Sat: I worked through Marcello's Sonata in G major with the metronome to strive for precision in the rhythm. I also worked on the vibrato technique.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

one of my teacher, a nun, said that her method was to make the student practise all the pieces, and then stop, till very close to the exams. nerve wrecking thought though it made sense for students who tend to over practise and prone to making new mistakes when over playing for long periods.
it's like a fresh start. controversial of course.