Sunday, August 23, 2009

Week 34 of year 2009 on the double bass

16 Aug 2009, Sun: The day's practice got me focusing on Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. I worked on the intonation.

17 Aug 2009, Mon: I worked on Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro to focus on the intonation. Time was also spent working on certain parts of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. I spent about half-an-hour at least working on sight-reading.

19 Aug 2009, Wed: I took time to practise sight-reading, a few studies, and the programme for the exams.

In the afternoon, I had a rehearsal with the piano accompanist and tutor. My key learning is that I need to work on develop an independent sense of counting so that I can count always. My thanks to my tutor and piano accompanist for their goodwill and patience with me.

20 Aug 2009, Thu: The work on sight-reading got me to realise that I fare a bit better if I play passages that are slow. When I felt the pressure to rush, I needed to work extra hard to stay centered.

Practise wise, I worked on Capuzzi's Concerto in D major with the metronome to work on the rhythm and to get me to learn to develop a steady sense of pulse. To much extent, while trying to do my best to prepare to pass the upcoming music exams, I realised that I have a lot of work to do on improving the fundamentals, as basic as learning to develop a sense of being able to feel the pulse independently.

21 Aug 2009, Fri: I continued to work on sight-reading and practised a few simple studies. The focus of the day's practice was on the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. This is so that I can memorise a few challenging passages by heart.

Time was also spent playing Faure's Apres Un Reve to work on the intonation and shifting in positions. I also worked on selected passages from Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro just so as to secure the rhythm.

22 Aug 2009, Sat: I practised selected passages from Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. Afterwhich I also worked on improving my vibrato technique. Subsequently, I practised Marcello's Sonata in G major. My tutor shared that it would help if I could listen to the sound produced when I use the vibrato technique and work towards achieving a 'natural' vibrating tone.

No comments: