Sunday, August 30, 2009

Week 35 of year 2009 on the double bass

23 Aug 2009, Sun: I spent some time sight-reading a work, and then spent a few moments going through a few studies from Hartley's Double Bass Solo Book Two. I was feeling that I had reached a saturation point where practising is concerned, so I took a break for the rest of the day to get in touch with other creative works of art.

24 Aug 2009, Mon: Just to play anything but the exams' programme, I played a couple of studies from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass Part One. I then spent time working on Dragonetti's Concerto in A major which proved to be very challenging yet stimulating.

I then spent some time just to practise the triplet and semiquaver transitional passage in the first movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D.

26 Aug 2009, Wed: I worked on two sight-reading exercises. Time was then spent practising the D major scale. Subsequently, I practised Faure's Apres Un Reve.

27 Aug 2009, Thu: I was not myself for the lesson. Sight-reading needed more work and my need for more confidence got me playing my worst rendition of Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. It looks like the barrier is psychological to much extent. In addition to that, I realised that I need to go back to work on the fundamentals if I were to improve my musicality. I had realised that two years ago when I had failed the diploma music exams yet I was quite in need of clue how to go about doing so, and striving to pass my diploma music exams was my goal then. Now, I could say that my goal could be revised to going back to working on the fundamentals.

My music tutor saw me in the evening and he was very encouraging. He gave a sound advice that what I could do is to think of how to face the problems. I hope I could face them steadily and squarely.

28 Aug 2009, Sat: Though there is a practising block that needs to be cleared, I decided I would start working on Faure's Apres Un Reve since I was in the mood to play slow passages. Following which, I worked on the 3rd movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major and selected passages from my exams piece.

2 comments:

tuti said...

glad you've got an understanding tutor. :)
all the best in your decisions, py.

oceanskies79 said...

Tuti: Thank you for your support. It means a lot to me...