Sunday, September 13, 2009

Week 37 of year 2009 on the double bass

6 Sep 2009, Sun: I worked through the programme for the exams while taking some time to play through a few orchestral excerpts. I spent some time working on improving the vibrato technique. There are some slight improvements and I shall continue to practise.

I learnt that it helps to be kind to myself, and encourage myself to improve what has been good, and to improve on what needs to be improved on.

In the night, I took some time to slowly play out the piano parts from the full scores of my exams pieces. I find it easier to study the scores if I could hear and feel what was going on in the piano part.

7 Sep 2009, Mon: I practised the entire exams programme while working on selected passages to improve on rhythm, intonation and vibrato technique.

In the evening, during the rehearsal with dear piano accompanist, I got some tips on how to approach a passage from the first movement from Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. More practice will be needed for a particular passage from the second movement.

9 Sep 2009, Wed: The practice got me to work on simple studies and a few quick studies. Subsequently, time was spent on selected passages from the exams syllabus.

In the evening, I have had the privilege to get one of my friends, XT, to lend me her ears to be my audience when I rehearsed through all the programme for my exams recital. It was comforting to hear that the programme was well varied and my friend managed to sit through my entire programme. Once again, I thank XT for lending her time and ears, and for helping me with carrying the stool. I could not have managed the stool without a help! Thank you XT.

10 Sep 2009, Thu: I did some warming up at home. Thanks to my supervisor at work, I managed to get a half-day of leave from work so that I could rehearse for the exams with the piano accompanist who had so kindly lent her time. My tutor was also present despite his tight schedule. Thank goodness for their kindness.

We rehearsed the entire programme. My tutor suggested that I could attempt the quick study first on the day of the exams. To much extent, his suggestions made sense. I love the way he gave me guidance to interpret and perform Faure's Apres Un Reve and the third movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major. I enjoyed the rehearsal experience and the learning that I have gained from it. More practice on my end.

11 Sep 209, Fri: I worked specifically on selected passages from Capuzzi's Concerto in D major and Faure's Apres Un Reve.

12 Sep 2009, Sat: I had double bass lesson in the afternoon. We started out with sight-reading. My tutor reminded me to observe the dynamics and exaggerate the performance of the performance directions for Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. For the Marcello's Sonata in G major, I was reminded to play the fourth movement with light strokes.

No comments: