Sunday, September 27, 2009

Week 39 of year 2009 on the double bass

20 Sep 2009, Sun: After a few days break from the double bass, I went back to practise. I decided to practise on my solid-wood Korean-made double bass since I have not been using it for a while. The practice was considered fairly elementary with me working on simple studies and scales. I need guidance on how to improve technical and musical competency on the double bass.

21 Sep 2009, Mon: When I was in need of some soothing moments, it was heartwarming to hear the lovely sound on my new double bass. I played the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto and my dear new double bass sang in a lovely and soothing voice. I played the first movement thereafter and realised that I still need more work on the technical aspects. More practice, and good practice.

23 Sep 2009, Wed: It has been a while since I had attended the orchestra rehearsals. We had a reading of Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet Overture. Admittedly, I know that I need help to sight-read rhythms more proficiently.

24 Sep 2009, Thu: During the double bass lesson, I sight-read a couple of studies and exercises. The goal was to improve my skills in sight-reading. Afterwhich, I spent some time playing Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto.

2 comments:

sputnik00 said...

morning, thanks for stopping by to say hi. thought you should know we have something else in common - we both play instruments that read the bass clef. :)

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Sputnik, thanks for sharing. I wonder what instruments you are playing?