Sunday, October 04, 2009

Week 40 of year 2009 on the double bass

27 Sep 2009, Sun: I played the second movement from Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto. In efforts to improve quick study skills, I have now embarked on a project to sight-read the exercises from Yorke Solos for Double Bass Volume 1 from the first exercise to the last. I managed to study the first to the sixth exercises, focusing on ensuring that I have got the rhythm, intonation and dynamics right.

28 Sep 2009, Mon: In the night, after a long day at work, I was glad to find myself loving the sounds from my double bass. I hope to practise on it for more hours so as to learn to bring out the beautiful sound of my dear double bass (the new hubby).

I practised the second movement from Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto and found myself needing some help with the cadenza section. Nevertheless, dear double bass sound beautiful when played in the peaceful hours of the night.

After that, I worked through the third movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major. Hopefully I could play this entire complete one day. I love the sound of my double bass!

30 Sep 2009, Wed: During the orchestra rehearsal, the orchestra rehearsed Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. It was technically and musically challenging. I would probably need more practice!

1 Oct 2009, Thu: New hubby is very charming to play on. He has a lovely sound.

I continued on my project of sight-reading from Yorke Solos for Double Bass Volume 1, and I covered the studies from No. 7 to No. 13.

Afterwhich, I played through the first and second movements of Eccles' Sonata in G minor.

3 Oct 2009, Sat: Before my double bass lesson, I sight-read from Yorke Solos for Double Bass Volume 1, and I covered the studies from No. 14 to No. 18. Afterwhich, I worked on Eccles' Sonata in G minor.

During the double bass lesson, my tutor urged me to work on scales and focus on achieving a good sound. The rest of the entire lesson was spent practising just the first half of the first movement of Eccles' Sonata in G minor.

No comments: