Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 41 of year 2009 on the double bass

4 Oct 2009, Sun: I sight-read studies No. 18 to No. 22 from Yorke Solos for Double Bass Volume 1. I also practised Study No. 110 from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass. The rest of the time was spent practising a few scales and Eccles'Sonata in G minor. I need more passion and focus.

5 Oct 2009, Mon: I practised Bb major scales to work on achieving a rich and full tone. I practised Study No. 110 from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass to work on technical aspects.

Afterwhich, I played Eccles' Sonata in G minor more to familiarise my fingers with the various positions on the double bass. I then worked on the third movement of Capuzzi's Concerto in D major focusing on playing by sight the various sequences of running notes in the movement.

7 Oct 2009, Wed: I practised Bb major scales to continue to work on achieving a full tone. Afterwhich, I sight-read studies No. 23 to No. 27 from Yorke Solos for Double Bass Volume 1.

I then spent time practising Capuzzi's Concerto in D major for it was an entertaining work to play.

8 Oct 2009, Thu: I love the sound of the double bass especially after my tutor shared with me a couple of strategies to achieve a more round and sweet sound on the double bass.

The lesson was simple, merely focusing on the first movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor and the various ways to achieve a sweet sound on the double bass.

10 Oct 2009, Sat: I sight-read studies No. 28 to 30 from Yorke Solos for Double Bass Volume 1, and then tried reading the first movement from Cimandor's Concerto in G Major. The rest of the time was spent playing scales and working on the first movement from Eccle's Sonata in g minor.

No comments: