Sunday, October 18, 2009

Week 42 of year 2009 on the double bass

11 Oct 2009, Sun: I sight-read study no. 30 to 32 from Yorke Solos for Double Bass Volume 1. I had attempted study no. 33 but decided I shall work on it another time.

The rest of the practice was spent playing Capuzzi's Concerto in D major.

12 Oct 2009, Mon: I played the G major scales on the double bass. Afterwhich, time was spent playing Eccles' Sonata in g minor. I may have to take a break from double bass playing for a week just to rest physically.

14 Oct 2009, Wed: I went for orchestra rehearsal. The rehearsal got the orchestra rehearsing Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Overture and reading the first movement of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4. I think to some extent, my body found relief and therapy in the turmoils of the music rehearsed. Somehow, I felt a moment of relief from the baggage of the days. Perhaps that is why many say that music has healing powers and is therapeutic?

15 Oct 2009, Thu: During the double bass lesson, I started with playing scales while focusing on achieving a focused and warm tone. My tutor showed me that I could play the bow by holding it in the middle for just a while, so as to help my hand find a better way to hold the bow with greater balance. Afterwhich, I played a study and then worked on Eccles' Sonata in g minor. The entire lesson worked on phrasing, sound quality, use of the right hand, vibrato and many more.

17 Oct 2009, Sat: I practised scales and then played through Faure's Apres Un Reve and the double bass parts from Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet.

No comments: