Sunday, November 22, 2009

Week 47 of year 2009 on the double bass

15 Nov 2009, Sun: I worked on a few studies to improve sight-reading skills. Afterwhich, I worked on the fourth movement of Eccles'Sonata in g minor.

16 Nov 2009, Mon: Other than playing scales and practising the vibrato technique, I continued to work on the first, second and fourth movements of Eccles' Sonata in g minor.

18 Nov 2009, Wed: I played a study before taking time to practise the first, second and fourth movements of Eccles' Sonata in g minor. The focus was to improve articulation and bow techniques.

19 Nov 2009, Thu: My double bass tutor got me to sight-read a few studies and that reminded me that I have to focus on work on improving my techniques. Anyway, I spent much of the lesson working on the last movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor. I worked on how to achieve as clear an articulation as my tutor did.

20 Nov 2009, Fri: I worked on one study from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass, Part Two (Yorke Edition). While it was relatively challenging, I trust that if I worked on it till intonation and rhythm is perfect, I would be able to reach a higher level of playing in terms of technique. After some time working on the study, I played the first and third movements of Eccles' Sonata in g minor. Thereafter, I worked on the fourth movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor.

21 Nov 2009, Sat: I continued to work on the same study from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass, Part Two (Yorke Edition) so as to achieve a better tone on the double bass. Much of the rest of the practice was spent working on certain passages from the fourth movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor. I was aiming to work through the challenging finger shifts and bow-changes.

No comments: