Thursday, December 03, 2009

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 60



Eager to hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, I ended up at Sour Puss Cafe on 19 Sep 2009. The mashed potato costs $3.90 before taxes if it was ordered on its own. I ordered the grilled chicken set (with teriyaki sauce) which comes with mashed potato and side salad. This costs $14.90 before taxes per set.

The mashed potato here had a plain and tasteless taste. From the texture and taste of it, I deduced that it was made from potato powder. My guess was confired when I spoke with one of the staff from the cafe after I had my meal. A mashed potato that lacks the earthy potato taste simply does not delight the taste bud. Even eating the mashed potato together with the teriyaki chicken had failed to make the mashed potato taste a little better.

The positive thing was that the waitress was kind enough to ask for and listen to my feedback. In a gist, I gave my feedback that the mashed potato made from potato powder lacks the potato taste, and asked the cafe to consider switching to use real potato.

I shall not go back to Sour Puss Cafe for mashed potato, unless it decides to change its recipe and use real and tasty potatoes!

With this post, I wish my friend to whom this series of posts is dedicated to: Wise and wonderful mentors who will lend invaluable guidance.

***
Sour Puss Cafe
Esplanade Theatres on the Bay, #01-13E.

Opening Hours
Mon-Thu and Public Holidays 10.00 a.m. – 11.00 p.m.
Fri-Sun and Eve Public Holidays 10.00 a.m. – 01.00 a.m.

2 comments:

pinkie said...

wow, u can tell if it's made from powder! How come a cafe in a high class place selling mashed potato made from powder? tat's not good.

oceanskies79 said...

Pinkie: I have found out that some places still use mashed potato made from powder due to the convenience...