Sunday, December 06, 2009

Week 49 of year 2009 on the double bass

29 Nov 2009, Sun: I began the practice with one exercise. This was followed by practising the last movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor to improve the intonation and the articulation.

30 Nov 2009, Mon: I continued practising the entire Eccles' Sonata in g minor. What I hope to achieve is to express the music as best as I can.

2 Dec 2009, Wed: The practice focused on working through orchestral excerpts from the works by Tchaikovsky that the orchestra that I play in are rehearsing. Interestingly, I felt I have improved in my playing when I went through those parts. The greater challenge was understanding how to approach Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique.

3 Dec 2009, Thu: During the double bass lesson, I played the first two studies from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass, Part Two (Yorke Edition) for my tutor. He suggested that I could work on studies that are slighly easier so that I could focus on improving technique, rhythm and intonation at a greater ease.

Afterwhich, we worked on the fourth and third movements from Eccles' Sonata in g minor. I shall be reviewing the audio recordings of the lesson so that I could hear how he manages to play the third movement so musically.

No comments: