Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 70




I was in Chinatown area and during my last few visits to Chinatown, I learnt that there's a stall called Erich's Wuerstelstand at the Chinatown Night Market that sells quality grilled sausages and Austrian bakery products. That place also sells mashed potato at $1.00 per serving.

As yours truly is on a quest for the best mashed potato in Singapore, I decided I should not give the mashed potato from Erich's Wuerstelstand a miss.

I ordered the Bratwurst with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Each serving of the Bratwurst with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes is $4.50.

The mashed potatoes appeared to be made from mashed potato making machines. Interestingly, the mashed potato here taste very different from the Maggi-brand mashed potato that we would get from other mashed potato making machines in Singapore. There was no brown sauce that came with the mashed potato.

The mashed potato has a silky and soft texture. The taste is slightly on the salty side. I find it a little too 'wet' and 'sparse' in its texture, and I prefer my mashed potato to be drier and more compact. The Bratwurst and sauerkraut are worth a try, especially the latter. Possibly, it's because I usually don't eat meat nowadays so the sauerkraut appealed to me more than the Bratwurst. I don't think I would return just for the mashed potato but I would consider having the Austrian bread from Erich's Wuerstelstand on another day.

With this post, I wish my friend to whom this series of mashed potato posts is dedicated to: caring angels who guide the way.

Erich's Wuerstelstand
Chinatown Night Market Singapore
Kiosk No. 2 and 3, Trengganu Street (corner Sago Street)
Open Daily: 3.00 p.m. till late.

http://www.wuerstelstand.blogspot.com

3 comments:

pinkie said...

hmmm.. the sausages look more appealing to me! :P

kyh said...

I'll have that mashed potato, but not the sausages. :P

tuti said...

looks delicious!

wish you good health and happiness this lunar new year!