Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The hunt for the best mashed potato in Singapore, part 73


I am having a craving for mashed potato today. In some ways, mashed potato have special significance to me. Usually when I was young, should my grandmother make mashed potato for my siblings and I, she would also cook cuisine that are more Western-style to go with the mashed potato.I fondly recall that she would make fish with bread-crumbs and many other Western-style cuisine, and these go prefectly well with her mashed potato. So whenever my grandmother was making mashed potato, it meant that I could expect some other interesting and rare treats from the usual Asian-style cuisines. Such treats are, forms of expressions of my grandmother's love and thoughtfulness.

Anyway, while I will cut down on this series of my post, I hope to write a few more posts to point folks to some worthwhile places to check out for good-tasting mashed potato.

My heart led my to Coronation Shopping Plaza after a music lesson in Jan 2010. I ordered the mashed potato from Swiss Butchery @ Coronation. This place has a cafe next to the retail stall. The mashed potato here is available at $5.90.

This is one of the mashed potatoes in Singapore that is worth having. Real fresh tasty potatoes were used to make the mashed potato dish. I understand that the potatoes were blended with some cream. Afterwhich, brown gravy was added to enhance the taste of the potato.

The mashed potato has a fine and soft texture. Yet it also has the earthy and rich taste of real potatoes. I could sense that this dish was made with care and pride. There seems to be pepper added to this dish.

The gravy has a very tasty flavour. It seems to be made with some form of meat stock. It complimented the mashed potato well.

The service here is pretty good and attentive. I can say that this place has one of the best (if not the best) mashed potatoes at that section of Bukit Timah Road. The mashed potato here is much better in terms of its taste than the mashed potato from Tierney's Gourmet .


Serving wise, I would think that if I would like to order other items from the menu, it would be a better idea to share the mashed potato with a friend. Otherwise, one serving of mashed potato will be enough to make me feel relatively full.

With this post, I wish my friend to whom this quest for the best mashed potato in Singapore is written for and dedicated to: love for life.

***
Swiss Butchery @ Coronation
587 Bukit Timah Road
Coronation Shopping Plaza, #01-05
Singapore 269707
Tel: (65) 6463 8080
http://www.swiss-butchery.com.sg

4 comments:

tuti said...

looks substantial.
nice to share. with a pal. and add a main course too. and that main course gets shared too. we need two side plates then. i am a nightmare at eateries, haha.

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Tuti, just go easy on yourself?
Yes, nice to share with a pal.

EastCoastLife said...

That looks like a large serving to me. I like it as a side dish. :)

kyh said...

wow the serving looks huge! i'd be extremely glad if i was there! this entry makes me crave for mashed potato sooooooo much. :)