Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Read: First, Break All the Rules

I was reading First, Break All the Rules by Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman.

In short, it is a book about how the best managers handle employees. I was not drawn to read it from a management's point of view. I had picked up the book in hope to learn how I could better manage myself as an individual.

I am particularly drawn to the concept that great managers often follow this insight:

"People don't change that much
Don't waste time trying to put in what was left out.
Try to draw out what was left in..."


In short, the book discusses how great managers would select an employee for talent rather than for skills and experience; how they would define the right outcomes; how they would motivate people; and develop people.

It took me close to two weeks to finish reading this book, yet it was quite an insightful read.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

ya, it's never quite good to try to change people, as in employees even with the best of intentions. have to get round to seeing their strong points and work from there. i learnt this from years of being boss. a hard road for me too.