Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sketching at Labrador Park



This afternoon, I wanted to be close to Nature and to enjoy some nice doses of sea-breezes. One of my friends who wanted to learn to sketch gladly went along with my suggestion to visit the Labrador Nature and Coastal Walk, as well as the Labrador Park.

It was relaxing simply to listen in to the sounds of the tidal waves. The weather for the day was pretty pleasant with gentle sunshine and beautiful clouds. When my friend and I found our way to one end of Labrador Park, we chose a spot facing the Reflections at Keppel Bay to practice sketching. I quite like the free-form structure of the Reflections at Keppel Bay. The challenge was to sketch in the surrounding plants, pre-war bungalows and the structures of the boardwalk to create a balanced and pleasing composition.


While I was sketching, there were several children who came near me and my friend. Maybe they were curious about our sketching adventures? One of the children, a six-year-old boy, remarked that he can sketch from memory! So thanks to my friend, she gladly offered paper and pencil to the boy, while I lent him one of my drawing pens.

Below is the sketch by the six-year-old Chinese boy. I overheard that he practices sketching this everyday. I think he would make a wonderful ambassador for the Marine Bay Sands if there is some good luck to find him, won't he?

A sketch from memory by a six-year-old boy whom my friend and I met at Labrador Park on 25 Feb 2012.

His elder brother also asked for paper to do a sketch. This elder brother is also talented in art. He drew the aerial view of Marina Bay Sands which include the famous infinity swimming pool. I would have like to share the elder brother's sketch too albeit I did not get the chance to take a photograph of his masterpiece.

One thing that left a positive impression on me was that the parents of the boys were encouraging and nurturing towards their children's interest in art. May the children continue to be encouraged to nurture their natural interests and talents.

I was reminded by a quote by the well-known late artist, Pablo Picasso,
"All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
The six-year-old boy was keen to do more sketches! My friend generously allowed the boy to have an extra piece of drawing paper before we bid farewell to him and encourage him to sketch at a later time. These children would probably find it helpful to bring their sketchbooks and drawing materials out with them whenever they are out in Nature. Nature simply inspires.


***
For information on the Labrador Nature and Coatal Walk, please visit:
http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/docs/LabradorNature&CoastalWalk_Final.pdf

4 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

I was checking out Reflections @Keppel and like the lovely surrounding.

The 6 year old boy has talent! He can sketch much better than I! lol

oceanskies79 said...

Eastcoastlife: The area is indeed lovely.

I agree with you that the boy has talent. I guess you may have latent talent, and maybe you just need time to pick up sketching to realise it.

goldilocks said...

your sketch is good

oceanskies79 said...

Goldilocks: Thank you!