Sunday, July 17, 2016

3 July 2015: Top of the Rock Observation Deck and Rockefeller Centre



3 Jul 2015: My gut instinct told me that this shall be the place to visit: The Top of the Rock Observation Deck.

The Top of the Rock Observation Deck is said to be one of the obvious places to go for a panoramic views of New York. Perhaps it was because it was my first time in New York, so I willing paid USD$45 for access to the Top of the Rock Observation Deck as well as a tour of Rockefeller Centre.



The Top of the Rock Observation Deck is located at 30 Rockefeller Plaza at 50th St, at the top of the GE Building. It offers a good view of the Empire State Building, New York City's Central Park and more. I spent a good half-an-hour there at least. Up at the observation deck, I felt I had a good overview of the New York City from a good vantage point.





The Rockefeller Center was conceived more than 100 years ago by John D. Rockefeller Jr. as a "city within a city." "It has been a hub of remarkable art, style and entertainment."



For me, the tour of the Rockefeller Center was more interesting than the Top of the Rock Observation Deck. The Rockefeller Center showcases a remarkable collection of sculptures and art deco motifs.



When I was reading about the Rockefeller Center, I learnt that the American Institute of Architects declared Rockefeller Center the second most significant piece of architecture in America. It is indeed a wonderful piece of architecture and I felt thankful that I had visited it.



During the tour, our guide gave us an overview to the history of Rockefeller Center. He also highlighted to us the various works of art within the Rockefeller Center. I was glad that I had made time to attend this tour. It seemed that a visit to New York City would have been incomplete if I had missed the Rockefeller Center.

I would like to thank the guide, Jonathan, for an enriching guided tour of the Rockefeller Center.

My learning point: Give people something better!
This was what I had derived from a quote that was associated with the Rockefeller Center:
"Giving people what they want is fundamentally and disastrously wrong. The people don't know what they want... [Give] them something better." - Samuel Rothapfel, founder of the Palace Theater chain, 1914.

***
Rockefeller Center
From Fifth to Sixth Aves between W 48th and W 51st sts.
Subway: B, D, F, V to 47-50th St
https://www.rockefellercenter.com

No comments: