Monday, November 29, 2010

14 Nov 2010: Bondi and Sculpture by the Sea


14 Nov 2010 (Sun):

After lunch, my very thoughtful friends and hosts, RL and her fiance, brought me to Bondi area to catch the artistic event called "Sculpture by the Sea". Bondi is located in the east of the Sydney central business district. The "Sculpture by the Sea" seemed to be a very popular event as my hosts took a while to find a suitable parking lot.

Bondi Beach is spectacular.The word "Bondi" (pronounced "BOND-eye") is an aboriginal word meaning "water breaking over rocks". This literally describes what visitors are likely to expect to see at the Bondi Beach. The waves that hit the shores of Bondi Beach are often huge and powerful. I was drawn to the vast area of its sandy beaches. It was very windy when I was there. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the breezes and the wind.

Photo courtesy of my friend, RL.


I was very lucky to be in Sydney to catch the last day of the fourteenth annual exhibition of "Sculpture by the Sea" (28 Oct - 14 Nov 2010) at Bondi area. This exhibition stretched from Tamarama Bay to Bondi Icebergs.

I was definitely delightfully overwhelmed by the large numbers of artistic and inspiring sculptures that were on display at the event. I read from the catalogue that there were more than 100 sculptures on display in this year's "Sculpture by the Sea". The exhibition was extraordinary as visitors could view the sculptures in the dramatic natural setting of Bondi's coastal areas. The walk along the coastal areas was in itself breathtaking and inspiring. I realised I like the sights of cliffs. The sculptures that were on display were very diverse in their styles and forms.

Here are a few of the sculptures that have caught my attention:
(The information on the artworks is taken from the catalogue.)

Tony Davis
Chimney Totem (Monument to Woodfiring)
Art Gallery Society of NSW Volunteer Taskforce Artist Subsidy.
Statement: "Manifestation of carbon credits as fuel for thoughts."


I just like the way it looks against its natural background.

Jacek Wankowski
Pauanui
Statement: "Inspired by observation of pattern and form in the natural world, activated by the distribution of mass, Pauanui embodies movement, anticipation and a sense of unfolding."


I like the simplicity of this design and its rather ancient-like look.

Tim Macfarlane Reid
Initialis
Supported by Leonie & James Furber.
Statement: "Standing at the beginning."


I was intrigued by this camel-like sculpture. There are interesting items hidden inside its body.

Suzie Bleach and Andy Townsend
The Adaptable Migrant

Supported by precision oxycut.
Statement: "A resolute exodus over epic distances into the unknown. Precious cargo: culture, history, memories. Searching for a place to belong."


 I wonder if I would like to sit on such chairs and use such a table?

Sally Kidall
At the table: are we sitting comfortably?
Statement: "Challenging the predictability of expectations and 'cultural homogeneity', informed by issues relating to human ecology, consumption and materialism."
Photo courtesy of my friend, RL.


I thought that it was really well-done in its attempts to enlarge everyday objects. Photo courtesy of my friend, RL.

Tomas Misura
Splash
Statementt:Explores the dynamics of a moment in time, in the form of a contemporary piece.


I have found the idea of see-through sculptures to be interesting. Furthermore, I like dogs.

Geoff Harvey
A French Litter
Supported by Sell And Parker Metal Recycling Services.
Represented by Robin Gibson Gallery.
Statement: "If I could have a dog, it would be a French bull dog."


Matthew Harding
Centripetal
Helen Lempriere Scholarships.
Statement: "When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about. - Albert Einstein"



My senses and mind were aroused by the huge number of sculptures and the beauty that Nature has to offer. Here are a few more photographs that I had taken as I walked along the coastal paths of Bondi. Many thanks to RL and her fiance for bringing me to such a beautiful and inspiring place.





***
People and moments that I am grateful for:
1) My friends brought me to a very inspiring and artistic event, "Sculptures by the Sea".
2) I was in Sydney in time to catch the very last day of "Sculptures by the Sea" at Bondi 2010.
3) The weather was perfect and full of sunshine! I was told that a week before my arrival to Sydney, it was raining almost everyday.

New things that I did:
1) I attended "Sculpture by the Sea" at Bondi!
2) I visited Bondi for the very first time.

***
Sculpture by the Sea
http://sculpturebythesea.com

Please click here to be linked to the virtual tour.

2 comments:

pinkie said...

bushy chairs and table! so interesting! envy you, have been going on holidays! :) love reading your post on the tour, and the lovely pics :) thanks for sharing!

oceanskies79 said...

Thanks Pinkie. I hope the posts will bring you some refreshing moments.