Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Read: What I wish I knew when I was 20

Title: What I wish I knew when I was 20
Author: Tina Seelig
Publisher: HarperOne (2009)

I have in a quest for greater clarity and for guidance. Somehow I chanced upon Tina Seelig's What I wish I knew when I was 20 and decided to pick it up for an inspiring and creative read. It proved to be quite a creative and inspiring read.

One of the inspiring examples from this book was how Tina Seelig would cover in a rare PowerPoint slide that she uses in her classes this very bullet point that goes "Never miss an opportunity to be fabulous". The stickiness of the message and its inspiring way to invite people to shine and do their best have impressed me.

In the chapter, "Paint the Target Around the Arrow", the author discusses on the topic of negotiation. It shares that the key to a successful negotiation is to appreciate everyone's interests so that the outcome can be maximised for everyone. I very much like the examples that were used to illustrate the concepts behind her discussions.

With interesting and relevant examples to illustrate the various concepts and ideas, What I wish I knew when I was 20 makes a relative easy read to lend one to broaden one's perspectives of thinking about living well and making one place in the world. While I would prefer Zander's and Zander's The Art of Possibility to this book, I am still glad that I have read this book to expose myself to good ideas. I suppose reading indeed opens one's mind and vision.

I have a copy of the book so if you are a Singapore resident, and would like to borrow my copy, I would be willing to consider giving a personal loan.

Also read: http://creativityrulz.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-i-wish-i-knew-when-i-was-20.html

No comments: