Tuesday, May 31, 2011

8 May 2011: Bourke Street Bakery


8 May 2011 (Sun): It was Mother's Day! To let my mother have more time for rest on this day, I volunteered to go out to buy breakfast. My choice for breakfast was Bourke Street Bakery.



Why did I choose Bourke Street Bakery?
According to a review by a travel guide entitled "i am SYDNEY - your very own travel guide to uncovering hip Sydney", Bourke Street Bakery in Surry Hills is one of the places for the best pastry in Sydney. The review wrote that this bakery "is the place to go for fresh goodness out from the oven. Its artisan breads, croissants, tarts, pies and rolls look good, smell great and taste even better".

**


The journey to Bourke Street Bakery
I had a fun time trying to find my way to and from Bourke Street Bakery by foot! I figured that it would be a pleasant walk and it was. It was a delightful walk and I could put my navigation skills to a test. I took about 40 minutes to stroll to Bourke Street from my apartment at Darling Harbour.


Walking along Bourke Street.

The Bakery and its pastries
The bakery looked modest from the outside. Yet, I could tell that it has a good reputation of serving wonderful pastries. It was located along a rather quiet street. Yet, as early as 8.10 a.m., there was already a considerable queue waiting to order pastries from this bakery.



I ordered tarts, croissants and a roll of bread. The pies would only be served from 10 a.m. that day and I was too early. That meant I had to give the pies a miss.

The croissants indeed looked good and tasted great! My favourite were the dark chocolate tart and the apricot tart. My mother did not give any negative feedback so I took it as her indiscreet way of expressing her satisfaction with the breakfast that I had gotten.


The folks at the Bourke Street Bakery gave me directions that I could walk to Central Station via Devonshire Street. That was a much shorter route compared to the one I had taken to get to the bakery. I then took a Light Rail to return to the apartment.


Breakfast was delightful. I didn't mind not having a cake on this special day. The tart were wonderful and apt for the occasion.




Bourke Street Bakery
Surry Hills outlet
633 Bourke Street
Tel: (+61) 2 9699 1011
http://www.bourkestreetbakery.com.au/


Please also see: My visit to Sydney, May 2011
All the photos on this post were taken using a Canon Digital IXUS 1000HS camera.

No comments: