Monday, January 23, 2012

Read: Stephanie Dowrick's Seeking the Sacred


Author: Stephanie Dowrick
Title: Seeking the Sacred
Published by Jeremy P. Tarcher/ Penguin

This book took me more than a month to read while commuting on buses and trains. Nevertheless, it was a comforting and insightful read. I may have to re-read it a few more times to better appreciate the depth of the ideas.

I chose this book as I have grown to find comfort in the writing style of Stephanie Dowrick. I experiences her writing style as one that gently inspires and encourages while providing the space of kindness to grow.

This book, like its synopsis says, is "a book for the spiritually curious, as well as for those already engaged with the deeper questions". It is an invitation to "discover what makes our lives sacred, satisfying, and meaningful". I like the inclusiveness of this book. It is worth a read especially for someone who lives in a multi-religious country like the one that I am living in.

The key topics in this book are Reverence, Identity, Love, "Do No Harm" and Transformation. Each of these topics provided depth to invite us to "imagine the world we would live in if we dared to see all of life as sacred - unconditionally."

With this, I wish you blessings for the Lunar New Year.

(Here is a list of reviews on this book: http://www.stephaniedowrick.com/news/seeking-the-sacred-reviews/)

2 comments:

Walter Mason said...

Oceanskies - I am so glad you liked this book. I enjoyed it very much, too - and like you, I took my time over it. There is so much to absorb, so many ideas to consider.
Stephanie has a new book called EVERYDAY KINDNESS which has just come out in Australia, which I am sure you will enjoy as well. Some details about it here:
http://www.stephaniedowrick.com/frontpage/everyday-kindness-new-book-from-stephanie-dowrick/

Many blessings for the Year of the Dragon!

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Walter, thank you for your comments. I am checking out my local bookstores for "Everyday Kindness"