Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Today and Tomorrow

Headaches have been bugging me on and off today. In addition, I do not like wearing my pair of spectacles with transition lenses to read and play music because they just weigh quite a bit.

Nevertheless, there were some things that make today a pleasant day. Today, I met up with a friend and ex-colleague for lunch. I probably did not say much, yet I appreciate the time together to catch up with one another. Prior to meeting her, I spent about an hour at a private library reading. Having quiet time and the luxury to sit and read without interruption is a fulfilling experience.

Next, I've finally found a block of time this afternoon to practise on the double bass. I had taken time-off from work for the entire afternoon. Despite not being at the best of my health, some time spent focusing on playing music and practising did wonders.

Then, in the late afternoon, I had lesson with Mr GM before the orchestra rehearsal start. It was an enlightening lesson, and Mr GM has been very fantastic in drawing me to play Faure's Sicilienne in a way that would be musically sound. Many thanks to Mr GM. It pleased me to hear for the first time ever since I have started working on Sicilienne, my rendition of Faure's Sicilienne was not a mere technical performance, but is starting to make some musical sense to me.

For orchestra's rehearsal, we rehearsed one of Haydn's symphonies, and the 3rd and 4th movements from Mahler's Symphony No. 1. Actually, I felt very tired by the time we rehearsed Mahler's, but strangely, my fingers just had the urge to continue playing. Maybe my fingers were fascintated with how they could make interesting sounds and music simply by the way they touch the fingerboard of the double bass. Anyway, I still need more practice. It was still a challenge to play some very difficult passages.

In short, today has been quite a meaningful day.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

As for tomorrow, Emily and the rest of Les Six du Singapour will be showcasing their works at the Esplanade Concourse.

Here are the details:
At the Concourse: Superstring
All Sound Out by Les Six du Singapour
Esplanade Concourse
28 June 2007
7.15pm + 8.15pm

I was there this Monday to support them. .

**
Last but not the least, there is a new post up on d'Bassists official webhome: My encounter with L'Orchestre de Contrebasses. It comes with a cool video of double bassists playing on the double bass. Please check it out.

3 comments:

mistipurple said...

wanna say the video of the L'Orchestre de Contrebasses is fantastic. awesome.

oceanskies79 said...

Yes, it is. :)

Simple American said...

Best of luck to Emily.

Glad that music can provide some relief to you. :)