Wednesday, January 12, 2011

18 Nov 2010: The best meal in Sydney

18 Nov 2010, Thu:

After a lovely though longer than expected cruise along the Parramatta River, I had finally reached Circular Quay. I had a dinner appointment with my friend, RL, and her fiance. I had to head to Wynyard station to catch a train to her home.

Anyway, on the side, remember the tree with purple flowers whose name I was trying to find out?



I had tried to ask a number of people but they were either tourists or were locals who did not know the name of the tree with purple flowers. So when I was about to alight the Captain Cook Cruises, I mustered the courage to ask one of the young personnel working on the cruise. He readily told me the name of the tree. I tried to remember it. Alas! The thing was that I could only remember that the name of the tree starts with "J" and has four syllables.

Anyway, after having asked the name of the tree with purple flowers, I steadily headed for Wynyard station to catch a train to where my friend lived. Honestly, I was pretty late. Anyway, in times like those, I appreciated the saying "it is better late than never".

With an interest to find my way about on my own, I happily found my way to my friend's apartment and she was waiting patiently with her fiance for me. I was close to an hour late. I am usually punctual for appointments so I figured that when I am in a tourist mood and when I am unfamiliar with a city to estimate the travelling time accurately, it is still best to make more allowance for travelling time.

At my friend's place, I was greeted by one of her paintings. We had minced turkey meat with fresh vegetables and a hearty soup for dinner. My hosts showed me how I could wrap the minced turkey meat with the fresh vegetables. My dear hosts had taken some food beforehand and I was glad that they did.

The dinner was my best meal in Sydney for many reasons:

-First, it was made with care and thoughtfulness by my friend. 
-Second, she had considered the nutritional value of the food and my state of health when she planned the menu for the dinner. As such, the food was healthy, nutritious and kind to our body. 
-Third reason, the food tasted good. 
-Fourth, it was a meal with lots of vegetables (that certainly delighted the vegetable lover in me)! 
-Fifth, interestingly, my friend's neighbours were playing on the piano, and my ears picked the sounds from the piano playing up through the walls. Music and great food, what better combination? 
-Sixth, I had wonderful hosts who offered their thoughtful company and hospitality. I think I was too focused on enjoying every moment of the meal that it totally slipped my mind to take any photo of my visit to my friend's place.

A heartfelt word of thanks to my friends, RL and her fiance, their hospitality and the wonderfully prepared dinner. Dinner was yummy.

****
People and moments that I am grateful for:
1) I am thankful for my wonderful hosts.
2) I am grateful for the care and thoughtfulness that my friend had put in to prepare a delicious and nutritious dinner.
3) I was thankful to that my hosts were understanding and patient with me, despite me being late close to an hour.

A new thing that I did:
I have found my way to my friend's place on my own (with some directions from my friend of course) and visited her place for the first time.

My learning points:
When I am in a tourist mood and when I am unfamiliar with a city to estimate the travelling time accurately, it is best to make more allowance for travelling time

No comments: