Sunday, February 26, 2006

The story of the lost mute

I had lost one of my double bass mutes while I was in Aberdeen last year. It took me a few weeks after I was back from the Aberdeen trip to realise that I had left the mute on one of the double basses that we had rented in Aberdeen.

I shall be more careful next time.

The Tourte mute (for the double bass) can rest safely and securely above the tailpiece of the double bass when not in use. This is one great feature to have, especially when the mute is placed on one's personal double bass. Yet, it also means that a double bassist should be very mindful when he/she is using his/her Tourte mute on a rented double bass. In my case, I had forgotten to take the mute off before I returned the rented double bass.

Today, I got myself a Tourte mute from Frank Brothers to replace the mute that I have lost in Aberdeen. I had wanted to get one last year, but did not manage to find a Tourte double bass mute until today. A rare find, it must have been? That is why I decided to get the mute today even though I already have one Tourte mute on the double bass at my home. Double bass Tourte mutes just seem not easy to find, it won't hurt to get a spare one, right?

2 comments:

goldilocks said...

I concur =)

Emy said...

hey I use tourte mutes too! =)

and i lost two stoppers in two concerts in a week! *pffFf*