Saturday, July 01, 2006

Keep changing my mind

I sometimes find myself changing my mind very often. Is this a matter of indecisiveness? I would rather say that new information continue to surface and with this, the mind finds itself making changes to its previous decision.

This morning, I tried to play Weiberger's Fugue (from Schwanda the Bagpiper). It started out sounding rather awkward, but it proved to be much easier than Britten's Variation H from The Young Person' Guide to the Orchestra, Op. 34.

As such, my choice for one of the examination pieces has changed from the Scherzo and Trio from Beethoven's Symphony no. 5 in C minor to Variation H from Britten's The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra to the Fugue from Weinberger's Schwanda the Bagpiper. Yesterday, I was even contemplating to play excerpts from Verdi's Otello, Act 4 because Emily told me it was easier than the work by Britten. It is indeed easier, but I could not find a way to relate to the music.

Eventually, I decided that I shall settle for the Fugue from Weinberger's Schwanda the Bagpiper. It is much easier, and would allow me to spend more time to work on the excerpts from Beethoven's Symphony no. 9 in D minor and the other components of the exams.

A good choice of programme that highlight one's strengths rather than one's weaknesses (my sense of rhythm still needs a lot of work upon) will help one win more credits during the upcoming exams. This is my current opinion.

2 comments: