Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sight reading woes

Usually, many of the music the double bass are written in bass clef. For the sight-reading exams, I am challenged with sight-reading scores written in tenor clef and treble clef.

What a test! It seems that the studies for playing in the higher positions have helped me to sightread in treble clef. But I am still feeling that I have a lot to catch up on sight-reading.

***
In the evening, I picked up Develop Sight Reading (for all Bass clef instruments) by Gaston Dufresne, edited by Roger Voisin. It contains several studies written in tenor clef. I tried practising it, and it is certainly a challenge for the mind to sight-read entirely in tenor clef. I could only hope that it would get me to the required sight-reading standard soon enough.

**

I don't know if I should be counting down to the exams. It is less than 20 days away.

4 comments:

crazycat said...

did i ever tell u i chicken out of my first exam when 2 months before the exam date and never try to take another???? and i suck big time with theory... i think u will do well on yours... u dun worry too much ok? :D

oceanskies79 said...

Ah...crazycat, to be honest, the thoughts of quitting the exams often come up my mind when things get tough. I could only coax myself that if I were to delay, it will be one entire year before I can take the exams.

But anyway, I think I still have to improve my playing...thanks for your encouragement.

Simple American said...

Don't quit. Don't fret. A person has a tendancy to create demons that eat our dreams.

Dream PY and go do your best.

oceanskies79 said...

Thanks.SA....I hope those dreams that have been eaten by the demons can still be retrieved?