Saturday, October 13, 2007

Free admission to the NHB museums



It's Hari Raya today, and on Yesterday.sg, there is a short post to alert heritage-lovers that there is free admission to the NHB museums for this holiday weekend.

Anyway, I did not read that post until this evening. Luckily, my feet brought me to two museums today: National Museum of Singapore and the Singapore Art Museum.

I have enjoyed myself at the museum. I attended the guided tour to the exhibition, The Empire of Nature: The William Farquhar Collection of Natural History Drawings donated by GK Goh, and the exhibition itself. The guided tour helped me understand the context in which the collections were commissioned by William Farquhar. I could vaguely recall myself viewing the the works from the William Farquhar Collection many years ago before the then Singapore History Museum underwent major renovation. There is an activity corner at this exhibition, and from my observations, both children and adults would like it.

At the Singapore Art Museum, I browsed through the works of The Big Picture Show. There is a series of activities at the Singapore Art Museum to celebrate the Hari Raya festive season. While my ears which have a love for peace did not enjoy the loud volume from the band's playing, I think the activity to allow visitors to paint, draw or sketch on a gigantic board their vision of Singapore as a great metropolis was a great idea. In addition, visitors to the museum were treated to satay. The satay was decent and the satay-sauce was pretty nice. Also on show at the Singapore Art Museum are the exhibitions: From Words to Pictures: Art during the Emergency and Widayat Between Worlds: A Retrospective.

No photo to show for I am quite tired of trying to seek permission to take even non-flash photography at the museum with its no-phototaking rule.

Anyway, I presume that admission to the NHB museums this weekend is free, so if you like it, do visit the museums tomorrow.

No comments: