Sunday, November 25, 2007

Week 47 of year 2007 on the double bass

18 Nov 2007, Sun: I started with playing arpeggio. I realised that my mind isn't that focused on practising today, so I kept the practice session within 45 minutes. I worked particularly on a particular four-bars section from the first movement of Dittersdorf's Concerto in E major. I really have to work it even more slowly the next time I practise this section to get the intonation focused.

21 Nov 2007, Wed: I played G major scales, then attempted a simple sight-reading piece. Afterwhich, I practised the first movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor, and worked on the articulation of first movement of Dittersdorf's Concerto in E major.

22 Nov 2007, Thu: It is double bass lesson day. MJ coached me on playing the double bass solo from the third movement from Mahler's First Symphony. I like how he has maintained a nice phrasing and a consistent tempo. I need to work on my sense of tempo and rhythm.

Afterwhich, he demonstrated how to play the second movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor. This shall be something for me to work on for the upcoming weeks.

The remaining of the lesson was spent working on the first movement of Eccles' Sonata in g minor. I have to be careful to ensure constant bow-speed even when I am changing bow direction.

23 Nov 2007, Fri: I sight-read a study from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass Part One, working on both rhythm and intonation.

Thereafter, I practised the second movement of Sonata in g minor.

24 Nov 2007, Sat: I did a sight-reading and study of a study from Bottesini's Method for Double Bass Part One. Other than working on both the rhythm and the intonation, I attempted to play the study at increasing tempo. As I was feeling tired from the day, I stopped after I worked on the study for slightly more than half-an-hour. It may be better to practise when I have a reasonably good level of concentration, than to practise long hours but without focus.

No comments: